Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Quiz Make Up


            The artist Charles Atlas was an artist born in St. Louis, Missouri, in 1958.  His worked has been shown in a number of places.  His art is what I consider thinking outside the box with the human body.
             I completely feel in love with what he did with his photography for some odd reason I love the weirdness behind his art. I love the photo en-tilled “Bowery lip-synchs to Aretha Franklin's "Take a Look” the artist has a model wearing heavy make up while if u look close you’ll notice that His cheeks are pierced with metal ornaments, and he holds a set of oversized fake lips in his mouth. I think I like it simply because its weird and it something not a lot of artist do because not everyone like to look at art that is created like this. Charles Atlas doesn’t just take pictures he also does films that are weird but not the good weird more like the creepy weird. For example his filmed titled “Hail the New Puritan” I saw a clip of it and was freaked out. I like the colors he uses but why the dots everywhere makes me feel itchy. It brings back un-wanted memories of the chicken pocks.
          I think what this artist tries to show in his art the different ways a person can feel when just looking at a number of pictures and his variety of ways he can create some beautiful or weird. He’s a pretty cool artist/ filmmaker I like him and most of his work. If I could afford some of his work I would probably invest it in because its just art work that you can enjoy looking at and getting last in for a while. Not everyone will have the same view on the work as the person next to them in my opinion. 
Bowery lip-synchs to Aretha Franklin's "Take a Look”

                                       “Hail the New Puritan” 

1 comment: